CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) — Home sweet home.
That's what an Elkview man who is also a RISE West Virginia recipient is saying after getting the keys to his new mobile home.
"You know the old saying 'miracles do happen?' Well they do happen," Steve Strickland said.
Strickland and his disabled wife are moving into their new trailer. Eyewitness News spoke with the couple last month when they were living in a 27-foot camper while their new mobile home from the flood recovery program sat on the lot locked and not hooked up.
"Last Thursday we got the keys to the trailer, and we moved in," Strickland said.
It's something families have been waiting on for more than two years following the historic flooding. In that time, an audit found that RISE hadn't completed a single home despite having $150 million from the federal government.
Since the National Guard has taken over operations, there is finally some progress.
"When [the National Guard] tells you they are going to do something they do do it now," Strickland said.
While the process took longer than what Strickland said he was told, he's glad to have his new home.
"I guess it's worth the wait and aggravation," Strickland said. "It's done, and I don't have to worry about it anymore."
He offers this advice to the other families who are still waiting: "Keep on till they get your stuff done. I call them every week. I don't care. Doesn't cost me anything to call them."
Strickland said there are a few minor details that need to be worked out, but he is working with his case manager to get those fixed.