Child welcomed home to Boone County after life-saving surgery
Danny Adams is 8 years old and has beat the odds several times already in his short life.
Danny went home Monday night in Boone County after surviving a life-saving heart surgery.
This time his parents said the chances of him living through heart surgery were just as low as living without the surgery.
Monday, his friends and family finally got to say "welcome home," and it was a moment the Wharton community prayed hard would happen.
"The doctors are shocked, because they didn't think he'd survive," Danny's parents, Butch and Sue Adams, said.
Danny's parents knew that but also knew he deserved a fighting chance. That is why when he was a year and a half, they eventually adopted him. Danny was born with Carpenter Syndrome and also has suffered from severe heart defects. The rare disorder causes abnormal growth of a baby’s skull, fingers, and toes, according to Children's National Health System.
"The lower part of the right side of his heart was just barely . . . putting no blood through," Sue Adams said.
Whether he had the surgery or not, his chances of living were slim.
"Either way, he was going to die," Sue Adams said.
The community has been in his corner.
Kay Vance said she believes "that without those prayers, he wouldn't have made it, but he did, he's a strong little guy."
After a week of recovery, he is back with his family and friends but missing his new friends, his doctors at Ruby Memorial.
"Hi, I made it home," Danny Adams said.
Vance said the boy represents "the love everybody around here has for each other really. You can't be around him and not love Danny."
Since Danny's parents adopted him, they knew his life would be short, but now they are hopeful Danny will live a long, happy life.
"He's just a miracle baby, since day one that he's been born," Butch Adams said.
"I hope he outlives me," Sue Adams said.
Monday was just the start of the celebration. Tuesday night, the community is throwing a "welcome home" party for Danny from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Wharton Fire Department.