Child stuck with needle in Charleston McDonald's bathroom
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WCHS/WVAH) —
Charleston Police say a 5-year-old girl accidentally stuck herself with a dirty syringe in a fast food restaurant over the weekend.
The incident happened Saturday at the McDonald's on Washington Street East. The child was immediately taken to a local hospital to be checked out.
The opioid epidemic has made dirty needles commonplace, but police said this was the first incident that they were aware where a child had actually been stuck. The child picked it up near a trash can in the women's restroom, Lt. Tony Hazelett said. Her mother was with her.
"Obviously, today's world we're living in with the epidemic, you know, you've got to be cautious," Hazelett said. "Always watch your children which, I'm saying, she was. It was a matter of seconds, but in a public restroom be aware of your surroundings around the floor. An incident like this, if you find a needle in a public restroom, notify the management which can notify us."
Needles have become commonplace with the state's spike in heroin use. Charleston patrol cars now carry sharps containers because officers encounter so many needles on patrol.
Police do not see any way they could locate the person who left the uncapped syringe in the restaurant bathroom.